Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Latest On About Everything

The Marshmallow and I still haven't agreed upon a name. I refuse to discuss it because he won't let me have my way (Olivia) and he just doesn't bring it up. So there it stands. I'm sure we'll have a raging argument the day the baby comes when I just won't back down and he won't sign the birth certificate!

I went by Salt Lake Regional the other day to just check it out. I shouldn't have ruled it out completely without even visiting it first. I was pleasantly surprised actually. It is an older hospital and they deliver a lot less babies than the other big hospitals around but I like that. It means the nurses are less busy and able to provide better care for the patients they do have. Speaking of the nurses, they were so nice! I got a personal on-the-spot tour. The delivery rooms were just as nice as any others I've seen and while the recovery rooms weren't quite as nice, they were decent and very clean, and that makes a big difference to me.

They worried about my doctor being so far away though. For my situation, their policy is that the doctor has to be on-site the whole time I am in labor and they said that most doctors resist that. Not that I care but my doctor will have to be with me the whole time and won't have anything else to do but worry about me since he doesn't even have an office on site over at that hospital. I guess that's his problem and not mine but the nurses worried that he wouldn't be able to be there in time to care for me properly. I'm not worried about that since I progress so slowly. I'll give him plenty of notice too. The faster he can respond, the faster I get my epidural, hehe.

Today I went to the chiropractor to find out why my back feels like someone's sticking a knife in it whenever I move. I knew I had back problems before I got pregnant but since, they've only gotten worse and worse. Although the chiropractor couldn't do x-rays on me today, he said he was 95% sure I have spondylolisthesis which basically means that my spine is crushing itself because I have too much of an inward curve in my lower back. He put me on this hydro table that shoots strong streams of water all along my back to warm it up and loosen up my spine. Then he cracked it good and told me to come back Monday, which I'll gladly do. I hope my insurance is paying for this!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is kinda funny about the name. Bryan and I had the exact same problem. The best part, the name I wanted was Asher...he just couldn't come up with one. I gave him the ultimatum that if he couldn't come up with a name we both liked by d-day (delivery day)...baby's name would be Asher. Luckily for me, it didn't come to that...the day before d-day he decided he LIKED Asher. Maybe you'll have similar luck ;)

Olivia said...

Here in Illinois, only the Mom signs the birth certificate....I really, really wanted Alice for my baby girl. It was my husband who really wanted Olivia. The poor thing went nameless for almost three whole days before the hospital told us that we would have to file papers with the state to alter the birth certificate from "Baby Girl," and we were thisclose to naming her Alice when I looked into her eyes and saw that deep within, she really was an Olivia.

So, as mom to an Olivia, who is also known as Livvie, Livvie-Lu and a host of other names, I recommend that you follow your heart and your instincts.

Catherine

Olivia said...

PS--FYI, I went feeling 'eh' about the name Olivia to really loving it....and it suits my little girl to a T! It is cute, sweet, and elegant all at the same time...perfect for a little girl or a grown up lady!